Saturday, May 11, 2013

Summary

Summary of my time in Jerusalem and lessons learned
Jerusalem can be divided up into several segments.

1. May-June, spending time with Rebekah Call, Joseph Call, Gregory Marsh, Breanne White, and the LDS families. I loved Jerusalem, wanted to be out seeing things all the time. I worked in Yifat Prut's primate lab with Matlab.  It was my happiest time in Jerusalem, I loved life!
2. July, Hebrew Ulpan every day. All the LDS Hebrew U students left and I spent time with my new close friend from Ulpan, Taylor Traficanti. I also spent time with James and Kindra Heilpern, the LDS power couple, and other people from my Ulpan class.
3. August-September, Aaron Edwards and Patrick Monson arrived in Jerusalem. We all dogsat Turk together for a month and once again a very happy time because I had my little "family" where we would cook together and read scriptures together.  I finished working for Yifat.
4. September-January, survival mode. I was feeling the tension of Jerusalem and was more ready to go home. I spent more time in my apartment at Givat Ram, watching movies and resting rather than going out in the city. I escaped with Aaron to Ein Kerem on the outskirts of the city to visit Miriam Griell, our LDS Austrian friend volunteering with severely handicapped children. I worked in Adi Mizrahi's lab with mice studying olfaction and neurogenesis and although it was sometimes very stressful, I worked hard.

I learned much in the 8 months I was there. The first few months were characterized by a boost in confidence. I saw a vision of what I could be and felt the hope and capability of accomplishing it. It was a much needed encouragement and I felt what I believe was the grace of God working powerfully in my life to uplift and inspire. I could be confident and full of love! It was possible!
Being with the families was important for me too, as I spent a lot of time with several wonderful families and watched how they each brought the Spirit into their home.
During one of the transition periods, I felt so strongly that it was time for me to buckle down and study. Read the news, read good books, learn how to assimilate knowledge. Then I received the gift of Aaron in my life, who taught me exactly how to do this and infused the passion for it in my life.
Later on I learned about patience and finding joy each day, when it became a little harder to live in Jerusalem.  My time was set, and all I could do was relax and not look forward to January but rather live in present. I learned about the beauty and glory of knowledge!  How important it was to learn about all things and how it was all eternal. I discovered documentaries and audiobooks and good movies in my little room in Givat Ram.  Although in each period I had some of the most incredible experiences and feelings and growth, my last few months I am pretty convinced were some of the most life-changing, even though it felt at the time like a comparatively flat period. How to assimilate and appreciate knowledge in all of its many many forms is a life-long skill I acquired, and although I am sure my ability and desire to do so will fluctuate, the foundation is now there to build from.


1 comment:

  1. Just stumbled upon this. Great times in Israel!!

    ReplyDelete